Discolored skin can be a pain to deal with. They are irregular patches where changes to the skin color can occur. It is a common problem for many people and there are many potential causes of discoloration. Some of the most common causes are injury, illness, and inflammatory problems. The patches of discolored skin can appear on certain parts of the body do a change in melanin levels. Melanin is the substance that provides color to your skin and protects it from the sun. When there is an overproduction of melanin, that is when discoloration can start to develop. Here are many different conditions that cause skin discoloration and five ways to treat them:
This only occurs when people are being treated with radiation. It can cause blistering, peeling, and dryness to the skin resulting in red patches and hair loss on the treated skin area.
This is a very common condition caused by too much sun exposure. It is a superficial burn on the most outer layer of skin and appears red, swelled, and itchy. Once it is healing, the skin starts to peel exposing a new layer.
A chronic skin disease that goes through different stages and sometimes relapse. The relapses may be triggered by spicy food, alcoholic beverages, sunlight, stress, and bacteria. The common symptoms are facial flushing, bumps, dryness, redness, and sensitivity.
There are three different types of burns determined by size and depth.
• First degree burn: minor swelling with dry, tender skin that turns white when pressure is applied to the burned area.
• Second-degree burns: very painful, clear blisters and the skin is a red patchy coloration.
• Third-degree burns: white or dark brown/tan in color with a leathery appearance and is very sensitive to touch.
This appears within hours or days after contact with the allergen. The visible appearances are rashes and the skin is itchy, scaly, or raw. Some occurrences include blistering that weep, ooze, and become crusty.
Yellow or white scaly patches that flak off. The affected areas may be red, itchy, oily, or greasy. Hair loss may occur in the area with a rash.
Bleeding under the skin: this condition is considered a medical emergency.
This occurs when blood vessels bursts or leaks under the skin. It can appear in small dots or in larger flat patches. The most common cause of bleeding under the skin is injury, but it may also be caused by a more serious illness. Always see a doctor if bleeding under the skin occurs if it is not related to a known injury.
This is a common skin condition that causes dark patches to appear on the face, neck, chest, or arms. The spots can be splotchy patches that are inconsistent in shape and size. It is more common in pregnant women and users of birth control due to hormone changes. Also, it can be common in people with darker skin coloration and heavy sun exposure. There are no other symptoms of this condition other than skin discoloration. It can disappear on its own within a year or become permanent.
Depending on the skin discoloration condition you have, there are many different types of treatments that can help with the battle. Here are 5 ways to battle skin discoloration:
1. Chemical peels: this is used to improve the appearance of the skin on the face, neck, or hands. A chemical solution is applied to the skin area that is discolored and used to exfoliate and eventually peel off a layer of skin. A new layer is exposed and is usually smoother and less wrinkled than the old skin.
2. Dermabrasion: a procedure that uses a wire brush or a diamond wheel with rough edges to remove the upper layer of skin. The treated area eventually heals and allows new skin to grow in its place.
3. Laser Resurfacing: This is a procedure using a laser to improve the appearance of skin or treat minor facial flaws by removing layers of skin.
4. Hydroquinone: a common first treatment for melasma This medicine is applied to the skin and works by lightening the discolored areas. It comes as a cream, lotion, gel, or liquid. You can get some of these without a prescription.
5. Home/Natural Treatments: you can create different skin creams or oils at home with natural ingredients. Some of the ingredients can be lemons, water, vitamin C, castor oil, red clover, and red onion.
If you are suffering from any skin discoloration on your body, visit Agave Laser and Aesthetic Clinic in San Antonio. We offer many different products and procedures to help treat skin conditions. Visit our website today to learn more.